Open 8 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday
Buying New Hearing Aids - Top 10 List for Buyers
Buying a hearing aid is an important decision on many levels as it is an investment in both money and time. However, the benefits one can gain from improved hearing will outweigh those investments on a daily basis. Therefore it is important to take the right approach in shopping for a hearing aid to ensure you or a loved one get the optimal solution for improving hearing capabilities. At Hearing By Design we offer this top 10 list of tips for anyone planning to buy new hearing aids, as well as our always complimentary appointments to get started.
- Research hearing aids types – Learn about hearing aids types and hearing technology to gain a basic understanding of the many choices available. On our website we provide important information about the advancements in today’s technology for reference.
- Undergo a hearing test and complete hearing evaluation – A comprehensive hearing test and evaluation is the first step toward identifying hearing loss and finding the right hearing aid for a specific hearing problem. At Hearing By Design we will work with you to provide recommendations for appropriate hearing aid solutions, if necessary, based upon your hearing evaluation and lifestyle needs.
- Honestly identify hearing needs – Some hearing aids are well suited for noisy situations; others are not. Some hearing aids types are perfect for an active lifestyle, while others are better suited for quiet activities such as watching television or listening to music. Features, controls - even color - may be important factors to consider when choosing the right hearing aid for your needs.
- Understand hearing aid costs – Hearing aids may be a larger purchase and as such, the buyer should receive a written contract which includes the cost of the hearing aids, as well as any services provided by the hearing professional. These services may include fitting, training and follow up appointments. Insurance coverage and financing may also be available to help make certain hearing aids more affordable.
- Get a comfortable fit – Custom earmolds ensure the best fit when purchasing new hearing aids. New hearing aids require a period of adjustment, and any level of discomfort could make the transition difficult.
- Follow up – Adjusting to new hearing aids takes time as the brain learns to hear again in a new way. Follow up appointments are imperative to get the most out of new hearing aids.
- Ask about the return policy – Most hearing professionals will offer a trial period for new hearing aids. Some may charge a fee if the hearing aids are returned; others may offer the opportunity to try a different hearing aid style.
- Understand the warranty – As with any major purchase, hearing aids come with a warranty to cover repairs or replacement over a certain period of time. We remain committed to making sure you are taken care of throughout the life of your hearing aid and even have extended warranty plans available.
- Consider using hearing aids with other assistive listening devices – Today's hearing aids are designed to work seamlessly with phones and audio equipment. Imagine having the sound from your radio or TV come through your hearing aid so others in the room can hear at comfortable levels. New wireless hearing aids may be the ultimate in convenience for the hard of hearing. We can answer questions about the compatibility of hearing aids with assistive listening devices.
- Help a friend – with the prevalence of untreated hearing loss it is likely you know or may encounter someone who could benefit from better hearing as well. At Hearing By Design we are committed to helping all in our community that suffer with hearing loss and appreciate any referral you can share with those in need.
We hope this list provides a helpful guideline for making the right hearing aid purchase. We are committed to making sure every patient that needs a hearing aid gets the optimal solution for both their hearing loss and lifestyle needs. If you have any questions or are looking to start the process with a hearing test simply submit your request on our Contact Us page. We will be in touch within one business day.